The holiday season is over and, whilst it is relatively early in the year, before we know it, it will be tax time again! So, some reminders as to what can be claimed as work related deductions.
To claim a work-related deduction:
- you must have spent the money yourself and weren’t reimbursed
- it must directly relate to earning your income • you must have a record to prove it.
- you must have a record to prove it
All claims must be substantiated with a receipt or an invoice, and they can be kept in an electronic form by:
- taking a photo of the receipt and saving it to your phone or computer.
- using the ATO ‘myDeductions’ app tool where you can enter the details of any expenses or another app that will do much the same thing.
You can then share those records with us via email at tax time.
The most common expenses include:
Vehicle expenses – using ‘cents per kilometre’ or ‘logbook’ method.
Clothing, laundry & dry-cleaning expenses. The clothing must be either occupation specific, protective clothing or a unique, distinctive uniform.
Home office expenses – heating, cooling, lighting, equipment such as computers, phones and the like, and the work-related portion of internet use if applicable.
Tools, equipment and other assets and their maintenance. Industry registrations, union dues, and work-related subscriptions. If you have any questions or want more information, please contact our office.